HAPPY 2018 GUYS!
I wanted to start this year off with a HIGHly requested post about my home decor! A lot of you have been asking where I shop, how I find deals, and how to put things together. My mom is an interior designer, and I grew UP in antique malls. I have two older sisters who love to decorate also. I was surrounded by it. I can remember the sheer terror of walking into a peddler’s mall as a child, feeling like the aisles and aisles of furniture and floral china were never going to end. Eventually, my feelings changed on peddler’s malls and floral china… (I actually got floral china for my birthday this year- and was HYPED). I eventually developed a taste of my own. When I started decorating my apartment- I went for an eclectic feel. I couldn’t get enough color. Especially pink (shocker). I love combining some antique bird paintings with edgier pieces like bohemian rugs and fur floor pilows. I almost passed out when my sister surprised me with my neon pink and gold armoire (her husband painted it for me as a gift- I know, I am so lucky!!!!!!).
Today, I am showing you all just my living room. I am going to continue to make posts with tips for decorating and shopping for home decor as time goes on, and show you more rooms in my home.
The living room is the place I spend most of my time, so I wanted it to feel like ME. I wanted to want to be there. A big part of decorating is figuring out what makes you feel good. For some people, that is all white, minimalistic decor. For some people, thats a more modern feel. For some people (like me), its cramming as much color and texture into your home as possible. It’s kind of hard to decorate an apartment- I will admit. Small spaces, not being able to paint, and an apartment sized budget are not your friends when it comes to home decor. BUT- where there is a will, there is a way. Here are my 5 favorite tips for shopping on a budget and making your house or apartment look BOMB while you’re at it.
- CRAIGSLIST. I tell everyone this. When I was apartment decorating, it was my best friend. My sisters and mom also checked craigslist religiously for me. They would constantly screenshot pictures of dressers, side tables, chairs, etc. People are trying to get rid of things, so they are often cheap. The two grey chairs in my living room were a craigslist find and I am still OBSESSED. (I also really want to talk about chalk paint here, but that is a whole other story for another blog post. Chalk paint is a life saver- just know).
2. ART. Nothing jazzes up a blank wall like art. My sister is an artist (find her on insta- @zigandcompany), so I had a little leg up, but you can find art anywhere (like craigslist, a peddlers mall, or from your friendly neighborhood artist). My little gallery wall is one of my favorite parts of my entire home. I centered it around a painting with lots of complimentary colors, and stuck with gold frames. The skull/antlers make the whole wall a little less pretty and a lot more cool if you ask me *sunglasses emoji*
3. AFFORDABLE RUGS. Y’all, a rug makes a room. Bottom line. If you have a cute rug, it’s much easier to make a cute room. Story time- when I moved in my apartment I bought a super affordable NuLoom rug off of overstock.com. I also bought a super expensive rug from Pottery Barn for a different room. The Pottery Barn rug was destroyed by my cat, and the cheap NuLoom rug still looks like it did the first day I bought it. I am a HUGE believer that you can get a GREAT rug for a GREAT price. I paid less than $200 for the 8×10 rug in my living room now!!! I recommend places like overstock.com and wayfair.com for cute rugs at prices that won’t make you cringe.
4. PLANTS. Don’t ask me why plants make your house cuter. They just do. You can find super affordable plants on the internet that will be shipped to your door. A fiddle leaf fig can make an entire room look more alive. Trust me. (I got this basket for my plant at Target and will link similar ones at the end)
5. THROW PILLOWS. Amazon is your friend. I got a pack of 5 floral pillow covers for like $20. And pillow inserts are cheap too. Pillows can make your boring couch look like the PLACE TO BE. I like an eclectic look, so things don’t have to match perfectly- just try to stay in a color family if you are going to mix patterns.
5. MAKE IT YOUR OWN. Be comfortable in your space. Whether that means cute coffee table books, salt lamps, oil diffusers, candles, your favorite throw blanket. Make your living room a place you like to be. I promise, you won’t regret it 🙂
Things I love: